Greek Beetroot Salad – Pantzaria salata is a tradition side dish that is served all over Greece, it is most commonly served with fish and skordalia (Greek garlic smashed potatoes). Truthfully, they are amazing together but is also perfect on it’s own, with a big piece of crusty bread. So flavorful and satisfying, the authentic tastes of this beet salad easily hold their own.
Make sure you don’ t have any romantic evenings planned, as this dish has lots of garlic, and you will frighten your date away.
- 1 bunch of fresh beetroot. (with the leaves)
- 2 large garlic cloves – minced.
- 1/2 cup olive oil.
- 1/3 cup vinegar.
- 1tsp salt.
- Wash and remove beets from the stem/leaves, don’t throw out the stems as we will also use these in our salad.
- Put water in large pot and bring to the boil. Once the water begins to boil, add in your beetroot leaves. Cook until the leaves soften (roughly 10mins). Afterwards remove the leaves from the boiling water.
- Next, boil the beets (roughly 1hr) until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Let them cool in their own cooking liquid if you have the time.
- Once cooled, chop beets as desired and transfer both beets and leaves to large serving dish.
- In a small bowl combine the salad dressing ingredients together and mix. Make sure that the garlic has been minced a finely as possible, I used a garlic crusher.
- Pour dressing over the beets.