“Spanakorizo” which means spinach rice is a super healthy and traditional Greek dish. Spanakorizo can be served as a side dish or can be served on its own with feta and sourdough bread.
This dish is one of my favourite recipes, my Giagia would cook this dish for me once a week. She would serve it with crumbed chicken and feta. I loved this dish so much, I had to get my Giagia to share her recipe with me. Now I make this dish as frequent as possible, as it’s packed with flavour and is healthy for you.
For Spanakorizo it is best to use fresh ingredients, if you don’t have fresh spinach or dill you can use frozen spinach or dill paste. It still will be delicious, but when you use fresh ingredients, it will take your dish to a whole other level.
- 1 kgs fresh spinach
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 200 grs medium grain rice
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 1/2 fresh dill, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Start this recipe by washing your spinach, make sure to wash thoroughly and remove all the dirt.
- Next, dice your onion and add to a large sauce pan and fry with the olive oil.
- Saúte the onion until it softens, then start adding your spinach. Cook until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Add the rice to the pot and mix. When there is no more moisture, add the tin of tomatoes and the water. Season the Spanakorizo with salt and pepper. During this step, make sure to frequently mix so the rice doesn’t stick to the pot.
- Once the rice is half cooked, remove from the heat and add the fresh dill. Mix and set aside. The heat from the pot will continue to cook the rice. We do this to make sure our rice doesn’t overcook.
- After 10 minutes, serve with feta cheese and bread.