I once had Jalapeno poppers at a work get together and instantly fell in love. The spiciness of the Jalapeon mixed with the cream cheese reminded me of a Greek cheese called Tirokafteri, that is one of my all time favourites. So I decided to make this delicious treat for my friends and myself.
- 12 large Jalapenos
- 1 block of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 100grms of Mozzarella
- 2 spring onions
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- Flour for coating
- Panko crumbs for coating
- Oil for deep frying
- Prep the Jalapenos, depending on how spicy the Jalapenos are you might need to put some disposable gloves on. Cut from the bottom middle of the Jalapeno towards the stem. Try not to go right down the middle cause we want the Jalapeno to maintain its shape, if you accidentally split them, its not the end of the world as the two pieces will stick together with the cream cheese.
- Remove Jalapeno seeds and veins. Get a little spoon and remove the seeds and veins. Make sure to be gentle as to not break the Jalapenos.
- Make cream cheese filling. In a bowl add the cream cheese, chopped spring onions, mozzarella and salt and pepper. Mix well till all the flavours have been combined.
- Stuff Jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture. I stuffed them using a small teaspoon. Once stuffed make sure to close the pepper as much as possible so the filling doesn’t spill out during frying.
- Coat the Jalapenos, you will need 3 bowls, one for the flour, one for the beaten eggs and one for the panko crumbs. Coat the peppers in flour, make sure to get the flour everywhere. After you have coated in flour, dip them in the beaten eggs and them roll them in the panko crumbs. For crispier Jalapenos repeat the egg and panko coating twice.
- Finally deep frying the Jalapenos, make sure you oil is hot. Cook till they are nicely browned and then remove and put them on a plate with paper towel to remove the excess oil.