Koulouri Thessalonikis (Greek Sesame Bread rings) are incredibly crunchy on the outside with an amazingly soft and slightly chewy centre. These koulouria are covered with toasted sesame seeds and are a staple in greek bakeries.
- 150 gr plain flour.
- 350 gr strong flour (bread flour).
- 8 gr salt.
- 50 gr sugar.
- 300 ml water (room temperature)
- 2 sachets dry yeast
Dipping the koulouria
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 500 mls warm water
- sesame seeds
- Pour the water into a mixing bowl and add the dry yeast. Dissolve the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add the rest of the dough ingredients and knead in the mixer for 7 minutes on a medium power.
- Set dough aside to rest (30mins). While the dough is rising turn the oven on to preheat at 200c fan forced.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, its time to start rolling out the dough. Divide the dough in 10. You can either make rings or plats.
- Once you have the shape you want dip it in the sugar-water and then dip it in the sesame seeds.
- Cook for 15-20 mins until golden brown.